Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Intelligent Option Investor


by Erik Kobayashi-Solomon


Having only started trading options in the last year, I've had good success so far, but I’m always willing to learn more. Mr. Kobayashi-Salomon, a former Morningstar strategist who now runs his own company providing institutional investors with analysis and strategies,  now brings us The Intelligent Option Investor, a book that is not only about options, but about finding the true value of stocks and then acting on those findings within the limits of one’s risk tolerance (and ultimately, budget). The information could just as easily be used for regular stock investing, but it is targeted for broader use in the options market.

Based mainly on the Black-Scholes-Merton valuation formula and the resulting BSM “cone”, the author builds a formidable structure of value analysis tools and methods, carefully illustrating and explaining their actual application not only in finding the value of stocks, but also in finding the projected value of those stocks based on the options market prices that lie either inside or outside the valuation cone. It is heavy going but is very useful information that I found very useful and intriguing. This first section of the book is also very important to understanding the rest of the book, which deals entirely with options. The author demonstrates the uses of the BSM cone in a number of different option strategies. Because it is all about making the reader “intelligent”, this book is not so much about finding the best strategy, per se. So it tells you what to look for, what to expect, and then leaves it to you to do the grunt work of figuring out where to put your money. (There are plenty of online tools for achieving this, mostly just by using a good brokerage’s website.)

Personally, I found the value cone quite intuitive, but because I don’t have much experience with options, it really gave me a lot to think about and consider in my own investing (not just options). A more experienced option investor might feel talked down to, but nothing is lost by going over this material as a review or refresher. Another thing I found valuable is that this book provides different types of option investing strategies based on the BSM cone. This is great for me, because I am becoming more risk averse, so I have no problem using the strategies that limit downside risk and avoiding the big risk, big upside potential strategies. It’s nice that the author gives the reader these kinds of options (sorry).

One caveat is, you should already know how to trade options before diving into this book. The author doesn't spend a lot of time telling you what options are, how they are traded, and what the fundamental differences are between the options types. It really just sticks close to its title and the premise that it will make you an intelligent options investor, because it assumes you are already an options investor. In the end, I found this book really did teach me a lot about options that I didn't

know and it does make me a more intelligent options investor. The careful explanation of the BSM cone and is application makes this a valuable book for any investor, but for an option investor, it’s the most useful tool I’ve ever run across, which is why I rank this book at five dollar marks.

No comments:

Post a Comment