Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Innovator’s Hypothesis


by Michael Schrage


One of the things I liked about this book is, the author starts out by immediately explaining how the Innovator’s Hypothesis works and what is used for, as well as how it works. One of the things I didn't like about this book is, after that, he spend six chapters or so telling stories that are supposed to support the effect of the 5x5x5 (five people, five days, five experiments) strategy that tests, and hopefully proves, The Innovator’s Hypothesis. Is it fluff? Well, not exactly. Is it useful? Yeah, kind of. Then what’s the problem? Well, saying that cheap fast, easy experiments that test a workable hypothesis on improving a business is easy to say, but,

it isn't all that easy to do. Plus, if you are in the twilight of your career (hello, me), are you going to undertake a bunch of experiments to improve your business? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Obviously, there’s more to it than that, which is what this book is about. The author is a long time business consultant who draws on his experience to demonstrate his analysis of different types of successful (and not) businesses. Amazon, Google, P&G, Blockbuster, big pharma companies, credit card companies, and more, all have been part . There is lots of food for thought and plenty of practical advice. I thought that the 5x5x5 model the author propounds was clever and workable, especially towards the end of the book when he explains that you don’t necessarily have to stick to the 5x5x5 formula. I also thought that the examples he provides will be quite helpful to people who really read this book with a mind to doing experiments in their own company. (I, myself, have no intention of attempting this, because there is no benefit to my company that will directly impact me.)

Something that I thought was kind of glossed over in this book is coming up with the testable hypothesis is more difficult than I think most people appreciate, and, once the hypothesis is in place, coming up with the experiments to test the hypothesis also will be a considerable challenge. To be fair, the author provides guidelines for executing both of those tasks, I just think he makes it sound a lot easier than it really is. From an execution standpoint, everything is fairly cut-and-dried if you follow the author’s train of thought, but ultimate success and meaningful results will be, I think, much harder to come by.


This book is intelligently written and the methodologies and logic supporting the author’s arguments are well-documented throughout. As long as the reader has no misconceptions about how difficult it might be to implement and execute these strategies in their own business, I think most business operators and company managers will at least gain some valuable perspective from this book, even if they don’t start doing their own experiments. I too was able to imagine having been motivated by this book earlier in my career, but business experiments sound like a lot of hard work, so I leave them to somebody else to actually do. Still, the book is good, the writing is fluid and clear, and it gave me a lot to think about, so I value the whole package at three and a half dollar marks.

No comments:

Post a Comment