Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Bathrobe Millionaire

by Jason Yelowitz



When the author of this book asked if I would review it on Amazon in exchange for a gratis copy, I jumped at the chance. I’ve read plenty of books that have the word “millionaire” in them, but I still don’t have a million bucks, so maybe, this could be the one. I thought it would at least have elements of motivation, self-help, right-thinking, etc. that would put me on a different track. And in some aspects, it does have that, however, it is not really a “how-to” book. When I was about one-quarter of the way through, I realized it was more of a memoir: here’s how I made millions of dollars. The author starts slow, mostly with personal background and stories of lukewarm success or downright failure. Eventually, though, the story picks up. The stories Mr. Yelowitz tells are his own, so the lessons he learns and shares are real, and they were no doubt helpful in his achieving financial success. Taking those lessons and experiences of the author, a reader should be able to apply them to his or her own endeavors, presumably to some positive financial end. True, many of the things the author did to make his money were taking advantage of Internet arbitrage situations that are largely non-existent or next to impossible to find today, but the experiences are still pertinent and insightful into making money with minimal effort and not having to shave everyday. Just the fact that the book’s title depended on the availability of domain names is itself instructional. All in all, the stories were interesting (mostly) and informative, the book is well written, and the lessons are valuable. Had I known what to expect and had the book found its stride faster, I would have given it five dollar signs, but nonetheless, this is a very good book and a worthwhile read.

No comments:

Post a Comment